First of all Housemate is known to be dramatic, so I think that Housemate is exaggerating how much mouthwash is missing. I wanted to bring up the following points, but have long ago decided not to involve myself too much in issues regarding Housemate.
If I cared I would have said the following (but if I did it would only be perceived as me accusing Housemate, more so validating Housemate's opinion of being a victim):
- maybe you don't remember how much you've used
- maybe you think that there was more left than what there was
- maybe someone's house guest at some point mistakenly used some (in the last 1 month we have probably had about 10 guests frequent the house - 7 of which was an all night drinking party)
- No one in this house would purposely steal mouthwash from you
I only overheard parts of Housemate's rant on the matter, but I did catch Housemate saying that:
"I am not from a rich family"
Arguing that Housemate can't afford, in Housemate's mind someone purposely stealing from Housemate. I can only compare what I see of Housemate with my own situation. Housemate lives in London, doesn't work that much, is a full time student and still:
- Comes home with shopping bags than me per month
- Have more deliveries of things Housemate has bought online than me
- Travel more frequently, both to visit Housemate's parents and to visit friends in other countires, than what I do
And I would never kick up such a fuzz about a £5 bottle of mouthwash.
The result is that Housemate has moved out everything that belongs to Housemate from the shared bathroom.